- The benefits of lunges include a stronger lower body and core, as well as improved balance and flexibility.
- In addition to basic forward lunges, there are many lunge modifications that can target specific leg or core muscles, such as curtsy lunges, reverse lunges, side lunges, and twist lunges.
- To achieve the health benefits and reduce your risk for injury, it’s important to do all your lunges with proper form.
- This article was medically reviewed by Joey Thurman, CSCS, CPT, FNS, a Chicago-based fitness expert and MYX Fitness coach.
- Visit Insider’s Health Reference library for more advice.
A lunge is an excellent body-weight training exercise that can help you with your overall health and athletic performance. Specifically, lunges are a popular exercise because they can improve strength, flexibility, and balance.
Here’s what you need to