State health department reinstates mask mandate, gathering limitations in most of Michigan

(WXYZ) — The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services has announced they are instituting restrictions on gathering sizes, requiring face coverings in public spaces, and placing limitations on bars and other venues in Michigan.

The orders reinstitute a number of measures that were in place under executive orders put into place by Governor Gretchen Whitmer. Those orders were ruled invalid by the Michigan Supreme Court on Friday. Governor Whitmer has asked the court for clarification on when their decision goes into effect.

Today’s Emergency Orders by MDHHS are put into place under a Michigan law that was enacted after the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918, which was not at issue in the Supreme Court’s decision. It allows the Director of MDHHS to protect public health by prohibiting gatherings and establishing procedures during an epidemic.

Any violation is a misdemeanor, punishable by six months in jail or a $200 fine.

Read More

Michigan health department issues order requiring masks, limiting gathering sizes statewide

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services on Monday issued an emergency public health order requiring masks and limiting gatherings after Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s authority to issue orders was struck down by the Supreme Court on Friday.

The governor’s executive orders were thrown into legal limbo last week when the Michigan Supreme Court ruled the laws underpinning her executive orders were unconstitutional. The governor is seeking clarification from the court on whether the order takes effect immediately, arguing it instead starts Oct. 30 under a court rule.

Related: Are Michiganders still living under coronavirus orders? Gov. Whitmer asks Supreme Court to clarify

The requirements put in place by MDHHS closely track with the executive orders the governor had put in place, MDHHS Director Robert Gordon said Monday.

“At no point today have we said we as the health department aim to do more than the governor already did… we

Read More

Doctor to give update on Trump’s health; many infected at White House gathering

President Donald Trump remained in the hospital Saturday after he and first lady Melania Trump tested positive for COVID-19 and were experiencing symptoms. 



President Donald Trump arrives at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, in Bethesda, Md., Friday, Oct. 2, 2020, on Marine One after he tested positive for COVID-19.


© Jacquelyn Martin, AP
President Donald Trump arrives at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, in Bethesda, Md., Friday, Oct. 2, 2020, on Marine One after he tested positive for COVID-19.

Trump went to Walter Reed National Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, on Friday after experiencing fever and fatigue. White House physician Sean P. Conley said late Friday that “the president is doing very well” and was not requiring any supplemental oxygen. Trump was receiving Remdesivir therapy and was resting comfortably, Conley said.

Loading...

Load Error

Trump tweeted that his stay was “going well, I think.”

Start the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said Conley would be giving an update on the president’s condition

Read More

New health order bans college-age students from gathering in Boulder

BOULDER, Colo. (KDVR) – A public health order issued Thursday by Boulder County Health bans people age 18 to 22 from gathering in groups in the city of Boulder and requires residents living at certain addresses to stay at home for 14 days.

Boulder County Health Department said it issued this order because COVID-19 cases have been on the rise in Boulder county for almost three straight weeks with the majority due to transmission among Boulder residents aged 18-22, particularly those attending the University of Colorado Boulder and living in the Hill neighborhood.

The health order bans people ages 18 to 22 from participating in any gatherings of any size, whether indoors, outdoors, on or off campus, or with individuals of any age in the city of Boulder.

The order also identifies 36 residences in the Hill neighborhood that the health department said continue to violate public health orders. The

Read More