UCSF doc ‘rattles’ Rachel Maddow with his take on Trump’s condition

UCSF’s Dr. Bob Wachter appeared on MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show” on Tuesday to provide his take on the COVID-19 outbreak in the White House and the risk of infection spread at tonight’s vice presidential debate.

Sen. Kamala Harris and Vice President Mike Pence will meet on a stage in Utah on the heels of President Donald Trump and multiple other White House staffers testing positive for the coronavirus. Safety measures will be in place to ensure the rivals are socially distanced, including the use of plexiglass barriers.

Maddow questioned whether Pence could be carrying the virus even though he has said he tested negative. The White House has reported the president was showing symptoms on Thursday and Pence said he was with the president two days before that.

“We know that the average person is infectious a day or two before they have systems and so that timeline would

Read More

Nearly one-third of patients at Plymouth DOC facility test positive for COVID-19, agency reports

As of Saturday, there were more than 1 million global deaths due to COVID-19, and more than 34.7 million cases, according to Johns Hopkins University. In the US, there have been about 209,000 deaths and more than 7.3 million cases.

A total of 9,292 deaths have occurred in Massachusetts among people with confirmed cases of the disease, the state reported Saturday. There have been 131,814 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state.

Also on Saturday, the state’s Department of Correction reported 28 male patients at the Massachusetts Alcohol and Substance Abuse Center in Plymouth have tested positive for the coronavirus.

Eleven employees with Wellpath, the company that handles inmate health care for the Department of Correction, also tested positive for the disease, according to a statement Saturday.

On Sept. 23, the agency said in the statement, a person who had been released from civil confinement at the facility had tested

Read More

Alberta’s top doc doesn’t agree with Trudeau’s assessment; Ontario, Quebec report more than 140 new school infections

On Thursday, Sept. 24, Ontario and Quebec once again reported worrisome case updates, as health officials try to contain the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. Their situations within their communities have had an impact in their schools, with the two provinces reporting a combined 143 new infections among students and staff.

In Manitoba, there are now 449 currently infected patients, a new record-high. The majority are in Winnipeg, as health officials warn against a worrisome trend that has been developing in the city’s bars, pubs and restaurants among those in their 20s.

At a COVID-19 press briefing, Dr. Deena Hinshaw disagreed with Justin Trudeau’s claim that Alberta is among the provinces that is currently experiencing a “second wave.” In addition, 13 school outbreak alerts have now been declared over.

In British Columbia, health officials announced 148 new cases, which marks the second largest spike in daily COVID-19 cases the province

Read More

ICE Hysterectomy Doc Named; ‘Trump Card’ Killed Drug Price Deal; Surviving COVID Winter

Welcome to the latest edition of Investigative Roundup, highlighting some of the best investigative reporting on healthcare each week.

ICE Hysterectomy Doc Named

The Daily Beast reported that Mahendra Amin, MD, is the ob/gyn at the center of the “excessive hysterectomy” scandal that arose out of a whistleblower complaint last week.

Though Amin wasn’t named in the original complaint — which said “high rates of hysterectomies” were performed on immigrant women in federal custody in Irwin County, Georgia — lawyers representing 17 detainees at the facility have since claimed that Amin performed unnecessary surgery on their clients.

The news outlet reported that Amin is not board-certified, which is a voluntary process. He does maintain an active medical license in Georgia.

Amin’s attorney said the doctor “vehemently den[ies]” the allegations.

The Washington Post, however, reported that Irwin County Hospital says its records show only two women in immigration custody had

Read More

Waterloo’s top doc issues plea for people to only get COVID-19 tests when necessary – Kitchener

With area COVID-19 testing facilities running at full steam, Waterloo Region’s top doctor issued a plea to residents to only get tested if necessary.

“We appreciate all the efforts our testing partners are making to accommodate as many people as they can, and to increase availability where they can,” Dr. Hsiu-Li Wang told reporters Tuesday.

“They are working around the clock.”

Read more:
Ontario announces $70M flu shot campaign as part 1 of fall COVID-19 plan

Wang says those people with symptoms or those who have been directed to, should get a test, but anyone else should not.

“If you are not experiencing symptoms or you have not been directed to seek testing, please consider not going to an assessment centre at this time,” the region’s acting medical of health said during Tuesday’s weekly media briefing.

Story continues below advertisement






4:40Comparing COVID-19 cases in North Dakota and Manitoba


Comparing
Read More